Meet Dr. Varun Kalra: Orthodontist, Professor, Inventor and Inernational Lecturer
“I truly love being an orthodontist and creating beautiful smiles for my patients. I also enjoy the fact that patients love and appreciate their new smiles as their confidence and self-esteem grow. I care about my patients, and their best interest is paramount to me. I take pride in providing excellent treatment in a truly warm, friendly, and caring atmosphere along with an excellent team of staff that shares my values of excellence.” – Dr. Kalra
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor of Dental Surgery (BDS), 1975 – Dr. R. Ahmed Dental College and Hospital, Calcutta, India
- Master of Dental Surgery in orthodontics (MDS), 1978 – King George’s Medical College, Lucknow, India
- Statutory examination (U.K.), 1980 – London, England
- Diplomate (orthodontics), Royal College of Surgeons (D. Orth. R.C.S. [Eng.]), 1982 – University of London, London, England
- Certificate & Master of Science (MS) in orthodontics, 1986 – School of Dental Medicine, University of Connecticut, Farmington, Connecticut
- Doctorate of Dental Surgery (DDS), 1989 – School of Dentistry, Case Western Reserve University
Dr. Kalra enjoys an international reputation in orthodontics. He has invented several orthodontic appliances that are used around the world. He is regularly invited to lecture to orthodontists around the world on techniques he has developed, and given more than 80 llectures and courses in 25 countries, including the prestigious annual meetings of the American Association of Orthodontists.
Dr. Kalra has published numerous articles on orthodontic treatment in leading international journals. He is a consultant to several orthodontic manufacturing companies, as well as leading scientific journals.
Dr. Kalra has been teaching orthodontics for 30 years. He is a clinical associate professor at the University of Pittsburgh, where he teaches graduate orthodontic residents and is also involved in research. He has previously taught at the University of Connecticut and Case Western University. He has won several awards, including "Best Clinical Instructor and "Outstanding Instrutor"
Edward H. Angle Society of Orthodontists:
Dr. Kalra is a member of the prestigious Angle Society of Orthodontists. Membership is by invitation only. Only the top leaders in the field of orthodontics from around the world are invited to join after a rigorous appraisal of their credentials and an examination, including the presentation of results of patient treatments. Dr. Kalra is the only member in the Youngstown/Boardman/Salem area, and only five orthodontists from the state of Ohio have been invited to join the Angle Society.
Dr. Kalra regularly attends continuing education courses to stay current with the latest knowledge and technology, in order to provide the best possible care for his patients. He is active in several organizations:
- American Association of Orthodontists
- The Edward H. Angle Society of Orthodontists
- World Federation of Orthodontists
- Great Lakes Association of Orthodontists
- Ohio Association of Orthodontists
- Cleveland Society of Orthodontists
- American Dental Association
- Ohio Dental Association
- Corydon Palmer Dental Society
Personal and Community:
Dr. Kalra and his wife Nanette have been married for 21 years and have two children, Anna and Christopher, and a dog named Dosa. Outside of the office, Dr. Kalra loves to spend time with his family, and enjoys traveling, playing golf, fishing, and hiking. He also enjoys photography and painting.
Dr. Kalra is actively involved in the Austintown, Salem and neighboring Ohio communities. He sponsors numerous sports teams and supports several youth organizations, as well as several other activities in the area schools and communities.
If you would like to schedule a complimentarty consultation with Dr. Kalra, please contact either our Austintown or Salem orthodontic offices. We welcome patients from the surrounding areas of, Austintown, Boardman, Youngstown, Canfield, Niles, Warren, Salem, Columbiana and Lisbon. We look forward to meeting you soon!